Beautifying Our Du'a

During Ramadhan, let's maximize our time to supplicate to Allah SWT. Surely often we do pray at any condition, either mostly after prayer or during free-time. Recently I have been thinking of rectifying the way of supplication to Allah to obtain a more personal connection with Allah and to see the essentials of du'a from a good perspective. 

First of all, let's rectify our perspective on performing du'a. We often consider performing du'a as the main way to get what we want in life. Rather, performing dua is a way to please Allah. It is suggested to have a firm belief that our du'a will be accepted by Allah. Regarding what kind of blessing descended by Allah later is all beyond Allah's Mercy and Will. We may not receive what we ask for, but surely insya Allah would be better than that. 

Following are groups of du'a which were raised by many pious men and women throughout Islamic history and some suggested du'a to supplicate. 

Taraweeh prayer at Tokyo Camii (Ramadan 2019)

Morning and Dawn Dzikr

Do not let the day pass without saying this du'a:

يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّوْمُ بِرَحْمَتِكَ أَسْتَغِيْثُ، وَأَصْلِحْ لِيْ شَأْنِيْ كُلَّهُ وَلاَ تَكِلْنِيْ إِلَى نَفْسِيْ طَرْفَةَ عَيْنٍ أَبَدًا

Ya hayyu ya qayyum, birahmatika ashtalif, ashlihli sya'ni kulla walaa taqilni illa nafsih torfata'ayni abada

O ever-living, O ever-sustaining, in Your Mercy I seek relief, please rectify all of my affairs, 
don't abandon me to myself even in the blink of an eye without gaining help from You." 
(Narrated by Tirmidhi No.3524, Al-Hafizh Abu Thahir claimed this hadith is hasan.)

Du'a of The Prophets

In Surah Al-Anbiya 83-90, Allah reveals some of du'a of the prophets when difficult situation strikes their way:
 

And [mention] prophet Ayyoub called to His Lord,
“Indeed, adversity has touched me, and You are the Most Merciful of the merciful.” [83]

So We responded to him and removed what afflicted him of adversity.
And We gave him [back] his family and the like thereof with them as a mercy from Us 
and a reminder for the worshippers [of Allah]. [84]

And [mention] Ismail and Idrees and Dzulkifl; all were of the patient. [85]
And We admitted them into Our mercy. Indeed, they were of the righteous. [86]

And [mention] the man of the fish, when he went off in anger and thought that We would not decree [anything] upon him. 
And he called out within the darknesses, “There is no deity except You; exalted, are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.” [87]
So We responded to him and saved him from the distress. 
And thus do We save the believers. [88]
 
And [mention] Zechariah, when he called to his Lord,
“My Lord, do not leave me alone [with no heir], while You are the best of inheritors.” [89]
 So We responded to him, and We gave to him Yahya and amended for him his wife. 
Indeed, they used to hasten to good deeds and supplicate Us in hope and fear, and they are to Us humbly submissive. [90]


How beautiful those verses are which every supplication performed by the pious followed by Allah's answer for each calamity. How this strong message knocks our heart, reminds us one more time, again and again, to not lose hope upon the mercy of Allah that He will certainly lift our calamity to those steadfastly patient as He mentioned the importance of maintaining patience on verse 85-86.

A Personal Connection to Allah in Our Du'a 

One of the Prophet Muhammad SAW companion named Habiba Al Adawiya who made qiyamullail as her daily supplication prayed to Allah with the following du'a:

"O Allah, O My Lord, the star has vanished, and the eyes have slept, and the king has locked the door, 
but Your door remained opened. and every lover has found their privacy with their beloved one, 
and here I am standing before You."

Then after she had finished with her qiyamullail and morning started to rise, she continued the prayer to end that night by saying, 

"O Allah, there goes the night departing and here goes the day brightening, 
O how I wish to know have You accepted this night for me that I might congratulate myself 
or have You rejected it from me so I may extend myself condolences, by Your Might, 
this is my commitment for as long as you keep me alive by Your Might, 
even if You scold me I will never leave Your door, 
nor will anything but Your generosity 
and your grace be felt in my heart.

source: Sh. Omar Suleiman lecture on "Prayers of The Pious Ramadan Series"


I hope that we can get more connected to Allah this Ramadhan through our supplication and through beautifying our du'a. Allah may not answer our du'a right at a time but I always believe that there will surely be perfect timing for all, even for our longing hope that seems nowhere to come. Because everything can all be clear once we achieve that awaited moment. Do not pay attention much to the result because it is the portion of Allah to take control over. Our task is to please Him. I know this is not easy, but let's do our best. 


_Ramadan Kareem_


Comments

Risa Karlin said…
Assalamu'alaykum Phechaan, baru mulai nulis blognya lagi? aku jugaa hahaha
Ayu Nuradi said…
ayoo kita teruskan menulis Risa :)
Risa Karlin said…
haha, yuk phe, bismillah